Science and Innovation Minister Steven Joyce has today announced the results of a review into the Rutherford Discovery Fellowships.
Following feedback from the sector, changes have been made which will help ensure young researchers are supported in establishing their careers in New Zealand.
A review of the scheme was undertaken last year seeking the views and insights from New Zealand's science community.
The changes include:
- Focussing the award process on selecting excellent researchers who have leadership potential
- A priority on the repatriation of talented New Zealanders
- Reducing the application period to 3-8 years after receiving the PhD (previously 3-10 years)
- Allowing a broad range of leadership qualities to be supported by removing the distinction between Tier 1 (leadership potential) and Tier 2 (demonstrated leadership) researchers
- Changing the expectation that Fellows receive permanent employment from their associated institution, to an expectation that they be contracted for employment over the full term of the fellowship