The content on this page is still current and is now owned by Callaghan Innovation. For more information on Callaghan Innovation visit www.callaghaninnovation.govt.nz or call 0800 4 CALLAGHAN. Any reference to the Ministry of Science + Innovation is legally deemed to mean the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
The Portal has closed for new applications. On this page you will find information on what this programme is all about.
We have up to 200 internships places available this year with innovative New Zealand companies.
The undergraduate internships programme is open to all businesses where R&D is at the centre of their growth strategies.
The internship programme provides funding of $16 per hour for up to 400 hours of work upon proof of the company's payment to the intern ($6400 max.). MSI will pay businesses GST on top of this funding ($7360 in total max.) This funding is paid directly to the company employing the student.
We expect the programme will be in popular demand—therefore we will select only the best applications. For this reason, we ask that businesses hold off finding a student until they have had confirmation from us that their application has been successful.
The number of interns approved per business may be capped depending on the total number of applications received.
For more detail on this programme and how to apply, please download the Request for Proposals – MSI undergraduate internships. [PDF; 448kB]
Criteria for internship funding
- An R&D project must be defined for the student. General work experience is not acceptable.
- The project does not have to be novel R&D. It can be project, process or efficiency focused.
- There must be a clear benefit for the company and the student.
- The student must be studying engineering, technology, science, marketing, commercialisation or design at NZQA Level 7 or higher at a New Zealand tertiary education institution.
- The student must have completed their penultimate or final year of study towards an undergraduate degree
- The student must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to be able to participate in the programme.
How to find a student
Should your application for funding be successful and you haven’t found a student already, there are three ways to find a student:
1. Advertise your internship on NZUniCareerHub – to find a student from one of New Zealand’s universities (except University of Waikato).
You can advertise your internship on www.nzunicareerhub.ac.nz (free of charge). NZUniCareerHub is the number one site for graduate career opportunities licensed to and operated by seven of New Zealand’s universities: AUT, Auckland, Canterbury, Lincoln, Massey, Otago and Victoria.
If your funding application is approved by MSI and your business is not already registered on NZUniCareerHub, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 698 644, or simply go directly to www.nzunicareerhub.ac.nz to register your details and advertise your internship.
Alternatively, you can contact the NZUniCareerHub coordinator Ida Tai on 04 463 5868 or email@example.com.
2. Contact the University of Waikato directly to find a student.
Contact Sue McCurdy from the Cooperative Education Unit on 07 838 4626 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Waikato engineering students, please contact Levinia Paku at Cooperative Education Unit, 07 838 4517 or email@example.com
3. Advertise your internship to find a student from one of New Zealand's polytechnic institutes
To find a student from one of the polytechnic institutes, please visit www.careercloud.ac.nz to advertise your internship vacancy.
Looking for R&D expertise?
New Zealand research organisations have many experts on hand to help you develop new ideas and products for your business. To access advice, support and solutions contact any of the people listed below. For contact details of New Zealand's Crown Research Institutes (CRIs), go to our CRI webpage.
Auckland University of Technology
Manager – Commercial Research
09 921 9524
Careers and Employment
03 325 3838 x 8327
Research Management Services
06 356 9099 x 81326
University of Auckland
Employment Liaison Manager
09 923 9433 x 89433
University of Canterbury
03 364 2551
University of Otago
Research and Enterprise Office
University of Waikato
07 858 5172
Victoria University of Wellington
Manager, Research Commercial & IP
04 463 5535
Email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your Investment Manager, Auckland (09 912 6730), Wellington (04 917 0199) or Christchurch (03 963 2070) or one of our regional business partners on 0800 832 469.